Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Batter Up!

Bet you didn't know I am related to baseball royalty. Related by marriage, that is. My husband's grandfather played in the Mexican Leagues back in the day (back in the day when color barriers ruled the nation).

The history of the Mexican League has been and is continuing to be documented in the “Mexican-American Baseball: From the Barrios to the Big Leagues” project. My husband is speaking on a panel this Sunday, Sept. 30 from 1 to 4 p.m., at the Carpinteria Woman's Club, 1059 Vallecito in Carpinteria. He'll speak on the influence of baseball in his life and his family's life.

It's funny how he got involved in the project. He was assigned a story for the Coastal View News on the subject. One thing led to another, and now his grandfather, along with his fellow ballplayers, is getting some long overdue, albeit posthumously, recognition.

I think the family story would make a great screenplay. Maybe that is a project my husband and I can do together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.