Monday, September 23, 2013

Obeying state laws on mandatory rest and lunch breaks

You know how experts tell you the importance of taking breaks? Ten minutes a pop is enough to refresh the mind, and upon returning to the task at hand one will be ready to approach it with renewed vigor. I’m really not a believer in that theory. I’m more of a “if I get off this six-hour jam I’ll never be able to hop back on the train.” And, because I’m self-employed and a lone practitioner, I’m not worried about the state of California cracking down on me regarding mandatory rest and lunch breaks.

Well, a dog has special needs, such as being taken outside to go to the bathroom. Now, breaks are imposed on me. Meet Libby. She guarantees I’ll be taking breaks. At least every three or four hours, Libby puts her paw gently on my thigh and gives me a knowing look. Then it’s outside for a short stroll. And, when I get back to my desk, I, must admit, I do feel better – refreshed, renewed, and ready to tackle the project at hand with renewed vigor.

1 comment:

  1. As a dedicated workaholic I found having a kid really helpful for relaxation. I did more hiking, biking and great vacations when he was a kid. Now he's at college. Maybe I need a dog. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.