Monday, June 29, 2009

What's so funny about peace, love, and billable hours


The pup in the picture is Shadow, the faithful family pet who crossed the Rainbow Bridge last summer. Shaddy, as we called him, was an excellent example of how stereotypes and/or cliches are sometimes true. He was loyal, kind, smart, easily trained, and gorgeous — all attributes one would expect from a storybook Golden Retriever. Photo by Susanna Rowan.

The challenge of working from home is keeping up with "billable hours." It is easy to think you've worked all day, but who are you going to invoice for the laundry, dishes, cooking, and the rest of the housework you did while brainstorming or trying to come up with the perfect closing paragraph?

It just seems to be a waste of time to "think" for thinking's sake. Throwing in a load of laundry or deciding on the evening's menu don't distract from getting the job done. Or do they?

Maybe if I gave my business the respect it deserves, I'd be billing a lot more hours. To stare blankly at my (blank) computer screen is an important step in getting the job done. Why should I think it is a waste of time and I that I may as well pull a few weeds while "I'm not doing anything."

Time to honor my process. Truthfully, saying things like that makes me cringe. It sounds so cliche and trite. It strikes a chord though, and that's probably what makes me so uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.