Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reading in Bed

Below is my headlamp, a new favorite reading tool.

Common wisdom says that writers love to read. I'm not saying all writers love to read, but I am saying this writer loves to read. And, I particularly love to read in bed. Either before falling asleep or right after waking up, I love reading in bed.

And, (I know, I know, you're not supposed to start a sentence, much less a paragraph, with a conjunction)I found something even better than reading in bed with a flashlight, which really is a page from the reclaim-the-child-within-pop-psychology of an earlier decade. (The flashlight thing is only cool at night, though. There's no thrill to it in the morning -- even if you are reading a Nancy Drew book.)

For Christmas, I treated myself to a headlamp. It is kind of like a miner's helmet with the light centered between the eyebrows. The rubber headband on mine needs to loosen up a bit, but with my big head (I mean that literally -- in the physical sense -- my cranium is large) that shouldn't take any time. I can't believe I went this long wanting one and never got around to buying one. They only run around $10.

If you love reading in bed, I recommend the headlamp. It can be used for other things, too. Like, if there is a big windstorm and all the electricity goes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.