Friday, January 10, 2014

Hire an accountant

Best thing I did for my writing and editing business was to hire an accountant. It took me a while (like more than two years!) to do so. No good reason why, but lots of silly reasons why not.

As a small business owner, I can't claim I was happy about mailing in my quarterly taxes today. I can claim, however, that having some fiscal structure to my business feels good. Sometimes I'm asked about how to start a small business. One piece of advice I am going to emphasize is hiring an accountant. Having administrative tasks like this taken care of clears the decks and allows me to focus on what I do best, which is not accounting.


2 comments:

  1. It's always good to delegate what you can, freeing you up for what you're truly in business to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm getting better at the delegating thing. Practice make perfect.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.