Monday, July 28, 2014

Do Not Disturb


Flashing oversized packages of candy while striding into my office works better than any old “Do Not Disturb" sign. Add to that, the solid close of the office door and solitude is ensured. 

No one asks "how's it going?" when they see me sporting a "Share Size" of Peanut M&M's. 

"Share Size." Talk about a euphemism. "Share Size" my eye.

eu·phe·mismˈyo͞ofəˌmizəm/

noun: euphemism; plural noun: euphemismsa mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing."“downsizing” as a euphemism for cuts"

Euphemisms are an important tool for writers. Being able to lay it out in black and white is important, too. 

So how about "Better Keep My Mouth Shut" size"?  "Sure Beats a Gun" size." Or, "Just Because You Shouldn't" size." 


I'm surprised there are no "Do NOT Disturb" signs. I think there may be a very good market for them



I stayed at the Hard Day's Night hotel on at recent trip to Liverpool. I think their version of the "Do Not Disturb" sign is the best I've ever seen. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post Amy! You paint such a lovely picture of your office! And I love your aside about the nature of euphemisms. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia. I love my office. Really do.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.