Friday, February 14, 2014

A Love Letter

Had one of my best nights ever last night – yes, the night before Valentine’s Day! I went to the UCSB Arts & Lectures presentation of Gloria Steinem at the Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara. She was wonderful!

And, she's a wonderful writer. Have you ever read her "I was a Playboy bunny" expose? Really good stuff. Check it out here. It's easy for me to forget that she is a journalist. Seems her humanitarian work overshadows that nowadays. She is inspirational in every way.

Certainly, my life, and everyone else's in this country, and I don't think that is an exagerration, would be completely different if not for Gloria Steinem. Of course, she didn't accomplish all that single-handedly, but she was definitely one of the leaders. Thank you so much, Gloria. I look forward to reading your next book. Keep up the good work, and I'll keep up mine.

Below photo: Gloria Steinem is on the lecture circuit. I found her to be a gracious, empathetic, engaging, warm, charming, and intelligent speaker. If you have the chance, go see her. Click here to see what the Los Angeles Times had to say. Different event than I went to, that's for sure!

12 comments:

  1. Well that was very interesting to read part of Gloria Steinem,s book. Because I was a Playboy Bunny in San Francisco it was nicely run by all great women and every playboy club was very different.
    madphoto.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    I appreciate being reminded of Gloria Steinem's expose about being a Playboy bunny. It was quite funny. It was interesting to see the firestorm afterwards over her doing it. Some said that it tarnished her cred as a feminist. I say no way. She is gutsy and paved the way for me to have a better life as a woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Calla,
      Isn't amazing how much has changed during our life time? Yes, Gloria definitely paved the way for a lot of us.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Madeleine. That's fascinating you were Playboy Bunny in San Francisco. Glad to hear the club was nicely run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sexy Madeline! :) Steinem sure did pave a way for us. Sometimes I think about how lucky and grateful I am; that I didn't have to be the one on the firing lines. Thanks Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Amy, for giving us a glimpse into your evening. I'm sorry I missed it. She's been a force to be reckoned with, for sure! I love that there are so many women that have led the way forward, and that we now have so many different paths we can follow as women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. So many more options available to women, and men, nowadays.

      Delete
  6. Hi Amy,
    Thank you for reminding me about Gloria Steinem's work. She is an incredible woman. I can't wait to read her next book either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the world is a better place because of Gloria Steinem.

      Delete
  7. Hey, Amy. I was there too, hearing Gloria Steinem. I totally agree. The fight is only beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Toni, sorry we missed each other at the Arlington. Let's keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.