Friday, February 28, 2014

Neither Disorganized nor Unorganized

This is how I understand the difference between unorganized and disorganized. Unorganized means there is no structure or organization. Disorganized means there is a structure or organization, but it isn't being followed. For example, my filing system is disorganized. I use an alphabetical system of organization but there are a number of files yet to be put in their proper home.


Above, see the empty box of chocolates re-purposed as a paperclip container? That's an example of organization. It's neither disorganized or unorganized. It is also an example of not paying proper attention to my business and professionalism. Recently, I rectified that embarrassing situation and overhauled my office. It didn't take very long, only about six hours total, which included the time spent purchasing organizational tools. I was inspired by Cindy Faith Swain, principal of OrganizeSB. Check out her blog post Organizing 101: Tip 1.


Above, now the paperclips and other office supplies have a proper home. I really can't tell you why I didn't bother with this type of organization before now. I mean, containers are that expensive. And, it feels so much better, kind of like right after you get your car washed.


Above, I love having purple cases in my office. They really brighten the place up, don't you think?

As for the empty box of chocolates? I still have it. I think it is a beautiful example of packaging and graphics. Should you ever find yourself in a Japanese market, or in Japan for that matter, be sure to try the Meiji Almond Chocolates - semisweet. They are delicious. Guaranteed.

10 comments:

  1. I've never taken the time to distinguish between unorganized and disorganized. Regardless, I am a little bit of both. I found this post very insightful. More importantly you have motivated me to tackle my own messes. Off I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. Glad to hear you are motivated. Hope you have as much fun as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the organization! I love the purple accents you've added. They DO brighten things up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. Yes, the purple does brighten things up. Gosh, remember when the typical office had no spark of color? Glad those days are gone.

      Delete
  4. There is definitely a difference between unorganization and disorganization. It's nice to recognize which one you are and to tackle it as needed. Good job on handling some of your disorganization!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Funny how a such a little thing, like the difference between "un" and "dis," can have such a big impact.

      Delete
  5. You deserve a box full of chocolates! Great organizing! Thank you for sharing your pictures, they are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Friday afternoon is a perfect time for a box of chocolates.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the your article. I am so glad you were/are inspired to be organized. I know how good it makes me feel when my things have a place. A place for everything and everything in its place... -Sir Benjamin Franklin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy, thank you for your comments. I really do find pleasure in sorting and organizing things. Almost like a meditative pleasure. I find it very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.