Thursday, February 6, 2014

Making Room for New Work in the New Year

From the Life as a Freelance Writer department:

January was a pretty slow month for me in the-getting-paid-for-writing sense. I'm happy to report I used the down time wisely. Among other things, I worked on my marketing, including social media; composed query letters; made new contacts; and cleaned out my office including tons of paper. I'm actually thinking about transferring one of my file cabinets to my garage. That's how thorough I was, and that's how "paperless" I've become.

I'm happy to report that the new year lull ended with a surprise ghostwriting job dropped in my lap. Of course, that job begat other jobs and soon I was sweating some deadlines. What a great problem that is to have! I hope it lasts all year and into 2015.

Though I can't prove it or explain it, I don't think that dry-spell-ending job would have found me if I had not used my down time wisely. Maybe I didn't will it to me, but I certainly was ready when it arrived.

Below is the filing cabinet whose next destination is the garage. During a dip in business last month I used the time to purge my office. I'm a firm believer in getting rid of the old to make room for the new. On a less abstract level, I really think my filing cabinets are beautiful. I love the blond wood and compact size. My friend Susan gave them to me.

6 comments:

  1. Way to take advantage of the time and get organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply, Linda. Spare time is such a luxury nowadays. I'm glad I took full advantage of it.

      Delete
  2. What a great use of down time! And I'm a big believer that you bring in what you put out, even if a lot of it is behind the scenes. Good job, and may it spill into 2015!

    Calla Gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply Calla. I, too, am a big believer of "you bring in what you put out."

      Delete
  3. Amy, I love your attitude! You used your down time wisely, by preparing for busier times. You made space, for new and better things to come, and the universe rewarded you! Yay!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Linda. The universe is very generous in her rewards, isn't she? I'm always a bit surprised by the generosity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.