Saturday, May 31, 2014

Regularity is key — for blog posts (and other aspects of life as well)

Day 18 / 30-Day Writing Challenge


One of my first Behind the scenes at Orozco Ink blog posts was Breaking the Blog Hymen. I noted one inspiration as Julie Powell's blog, as in the Julie/Julia Project, as in Julia Childs, as in they made a movie of it starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams, as in my name is Amy, too.

I've been fortunate to find other blogs as inspiration. And, you know what the common thread of inspiration is? The fact that they stuck/stick with it. Sure, the writing is engaging, the graphics pleasing to the eye. However, what I marvel at is the regularity, the commitment, and the discipline.

It's not easy. Not for me, anyway. The writing part is the easy part. The "doing it" is tough.

Let me share Calla Gold's blog. Go ahead and check it out. I know, can you believe it? Calla designs jewelry. And her real last name is Gold! I know this is true because I know her personally.

OK. Back to the point: Note the frequency of posts. Calla is on top of it. Even if she's pre-writing and scheduling her blog, it doesn't matter. She's still churning out the posts.

That's what I'm working on -- showing up. Cuz once I show up, the other part takes care of itself.

Thanks Julie. Thanks Calla.

Above, the artwork from the May 30 blog post of Calla Gold Jewelry. Calla has such a great blog. So much information and so interesting. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Amy! I am honored to be a blogger inspiration to you.
    For the record I have a schedule, Mondays I post my educational "long" blog post.
    Wednesdays I post a definition from my long jewelry glossary with a picture and an example. These Wednesday posts are short.
    Fridays I post my "Gems of Wisdom" where I take a quote and pair it with a beautiful picture of a piece of jewelry I have designed. I talk about the person who said the quote. It is a short post.
    I do these ahead of time and have a graphic artist make my Gems of Wisdom quote pics.
    Thank you again for recognizing me Amy. I enjoy your writing style and love of good grammar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Calla. Slowly but surely I am learning how helpful sticking to a schedule is. Making a schedule is no problem, it's the sticking to it part.

      Delete
  2. Agreed- Calla is an AMAZING blogger. Not only are they well-written (her personality just shines through in each post), but she actually makes time to write them out and get them out there. And now that we know her secrets (the schedule in her comment), I might start thinking about organizing my own schedule. I know I definitely need to start working on becoming more regular with blog posts. Maybe I should do a 30-day challenge too? Or even start with just a week. Baby steps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lisa Darsonval. Know what you mean about baby steps. It's pretty much how I get anything accomplished. Sometimes I'm so amazed at how quickly the baby steps add up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.