Monday, May 19, 2014

Sharpening the Tools of the Trade

Day 6 / 30-Day Writing Challenge


Tools of the Trade. The things I need to complete my work in a timely and better than satisfactory manner include a computer with word processing capability (preferably Word because that's what 99.9% of the professional world uses) and an Internet connection. 

Yes, there are lots of other bells and whistles available to enhance my performance. A wrist pad is nice. A brain dump system is nice. A theory of professional organizer Sara Caputo, a brain dump gets information from the brain to another receptacle such as Evernote or the more basic paper and pen. Efficient filing of paperwork is a godsend. 

Just as language always is evolving, so are the tools of one's trade. For example, peruse means to read in a thorough or careful way [uh, yes it does, look it up] the constant misuse of it has altered its meaning to the give-it-a-glance sense. 

Yesterday, I trashed a (former) favorite tool/system of mine. The use of sticky notes for brain dumping. The notes became too unwieldy. Covered with fluorescent, small, square-shaped papers in a higgledy-piggledy manner, my desk had become more of a detriment than an enhancement to my job.

I haven't discovered the perfect replacement system yet, but I'm working on it.  There's chalkboard I could use, but that is not conducive to in-the-moment thinking. A blank book/journal might do the trick. I've thought about writing on the wall.  A kindergarten-size easel with paper might be cool. 

I'll be giving this a lot of thought. Perusing the matter, one might say. 


Bye-bye sticky notes. It was efficient while it lasted. Need to move on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.